Blog

Overloading functions inside SharePoint standard script libraries


15 March, 2016

We had the requirement to hook into events that occur within SharePoint script objects, specifically when a new calendar item is created. One way of doing this is to simply override the action with your code, but that will make the existing function break. Alternatively, you can edit the standard script file or copy the contents of the method and change it into a new signature. Neither of these are good methods as the code may change in an upcoming release or service pack.

Read More...

Manually extending MVC Entity Framework migrations


26 January, 2016

I recently applied an entity framework migration that failed as the data in the source table would get truncated. In this case, we need to include some migration scripts to change the existing data. To do that, you need to manually extend the migration. Background on Migrations Migrations allow you to upgrade and downgrade the schema of a database automatically during execution of an application.

Read More...

Automating Azure VM with Runbooks and Webhooks


04 December, 2015

Today, I run all of my Windows-based production and development systems in Azure or Office 365. For development environments, you want to have these running on-demand to optimize costs and, for those who can, make the mot of the credits included in your MSDN subscription. I did spend a lot of money this year when I forgot to turn off my dev farm over a weekend, so I wrote a PowerShell script to automate the process.

Read More...

SharePoint Error: “The page you selected contains a list that does not exist” or “The SPListItem being updated was not retrieved with all taxonomy fields”


20 October, 2015

If you add a managed metadata field to a view in SharePoint, you might get the cryptic error message “The page you selected contains a list that does not exist”. Variations of this error can be seen when you, either using a browser or via code, try to update a list item and receive the following error: "The SPListItem being updated was not retrieved with all taxonomy fields”.

Read More...

Getting innerText to work in Firefox and return/set only first node of jQuery.text()


21 September, 2015

Firefox uses the W3C-compliant textContent property instead of innerText. Most other browsers, such as Chrome and IE, use innerText and, to make things worse, IE does not support innerText. Also, when using jQuery.text(), all text inside the node plus its child nodes are returned, which is not the same as innerText or textContent. To get around this, I wrote a small jQuery plug-in. The code (function( $ ) { $.fn.innerText = function(text) { var ff = (typeof this[0].

Read More...